Todd writes:

>Elizabeth, there are a lot of people out in the field, especially
>marketing agencies,

Well, there you have it.  They're marketing folks.  IMNERHO they aren't
usability
professionals; they're just calling themselves that.

>I include satisfaction in my definition of usability,

Then would you mind explaining what you had in mind when you said that a design
was less usable but more satisfying?  Help me out here.

>You might not see that in your work, but that might be due to the
>industry you're focused in.

I have clients in the government, nonprofit, and commercial sectors.
Which industry did you have in mind?  :-)

>Likewise, since I'm not involved in
>government work, where we're not obligated to be bound by ISO
>standards, I see it pretty often.

I am not talking about being "bound" by ISO standards.  I am talking about
knowing the definition of usability, which happens to be best captured in
ISO 9241/11.  This definition comes up rather frequently among people who
actually *are* usability professionals.

Elizabeth