I love and hate this thread.

There have been many great points made about the tradeoffs of working
in a vibrant area, about what interactive design is, and how horrible
it can be to find the right job.  But as I read this thread it pains
me.

I%u2019m a recent graduate of a European design school and I%u2019m
currently looking for employment.  I am that young kid who would
gladly live in a cardboard box to be out in the valley and working on
exciting projects, yet so far there%u2019s only been rejections and
glimpses of future contractor work.  So it%u2019s quite hard to see
the disconnect.

I%u2019d like to offer up one observation.  Just as the IxD community
has had trouble defining Interactive Design, my school had difficulty
choosing the types of projects to develop throughout the program.
Since the field is so varied, we touched upon many types of
interactive design projects while never delving too deep into the
technical aspects of each category.  Instead an overall emphasis on
theory, process, and the artistic elements of interactive design were
stressed as those elements can be applied to any possible future
project.  While, I believe, this was an apt way to instruct the
program at this current point in time, it has left us students with a
lagging technical skill set.  The backgrounds of the student body were
as diverse as one could imagine and therefore students as still able
to only apply for positions similar to their previous backgrounds.
As I currently browse jobs, many jobs emphasize simply the web nature
of interactive design and therefore the only students from my school
who would fit into the mold that HR builds are those who already had
a background in web development and programming.  Perhaps this is
another element to think about.  There are schools attempting to
teach the discipline, but until the categories are defined further,
it will be hard to train students on a highly technical level.  I
would like to see companies start to give a little and realize
something along the lines of what Andrei said where interactive
designers do not code and also work along side of graphic designers.
So far it seems that this mentality would surely lead to a rejection
email.

Also, in general, I am saddened to see that the areas of experience
design, environmental design, and installation design are less
prevalent in the United States than over in Europe.  In my mind this
is quite ironic, because as usual, the funding for substantial and
innovative projects could easily be found stateside.  Also, I would
say that a fair amount of my classmates prefer these areas as opposed
to UI/IA design.

But if anyone has suggestions for the unemployed side of this debate,
please send them over.  I agree that it would be nice to have a simple
and secure resume posting system on here.    I don%u2019t believe
I%u2019m the only inactive designer around here.