On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For #3... How do we force new users to search for answers before
> creating a duplicate thread on issues that has been addressed already?

 An interesting method implemented by Metafilter (mentioned previous
in regards to their banhammering) is to force a post preview prior to
submission.

In this process (assuming I haven't used the site's standard "search"
options), I type up my post but can only preview it (versus
immediately posting it live). This preview does some sort of check for
similar or previous posts (in Metafilter's case, this check is done by
looking at the URL in the post...but I imagine this check could be
altered to other types of site-relevant content)...if a duplicate
prior post is found, it is displayed with a message along the lines of
"It looks like someone has already posted about topic X..." and some
notes about not duplicating posts or checking to see if your post is
taking a new/unique look at a similar topic.

Granted, at this step, you could ignore the duplicate warning and post
anyways...but I always thought this was a fairly helpful way to help
avoid duplication of ideas.

But I also tend to agree that there should be no "penalty" levied
against new user who inquire about previously-discussed topics...maybe
there could be some sort of "rewards" system set up for answering
questions (like an ebay feedback concept) with no regard to the amount
of time things have been discussed?

- Tim
--
http://www.clampants.com