> Can you share the metrics you're seeing?

Not specifically, no, but I can tell you that I'm comparing page views,
site-wide and then by segment. There are multiple types of site users
(visitors, visitors who search, members, content creators, etc).

Most of the traffic on this site enters from a search engine, and most of
that traffic bounces immediately. It's this group in particular the design
changes were geared towards—things to help them understand the purpose of
the site within a few seconds, improve sideways discovery, etc.

For it to be a cache issue, most of the current users would have to
have already
visited the pages they're viewing now (thereby caching them), and that's not
the case. This was also not the case for WordPress.com.

So, the delay seems to occur even when the largest audience segment is
first-time site visitors. When a new design is successful, it seems, the
effect is not immediate. It still takes a week or so for the metrics to
start reflecting the success of the new design.

-r-