Hi Martin, I'd talk to your CEO or whoever is in charge, show them before
and after scenarios and make a case as to why you think usability =
increased revenue. I would also do a bit of internal marketing, ensure your
team are referred to as interaction designer (never graphic designers) and
do some educational sessions on why preplanning and information architecture
add to the product and is something everyone can support.
You have to solve the internal attitude to it before you (and your
coworkers) can educate the client. I would research industrial
design history and how they got into the mix (they were seen as glorified
prettifiers before).
hope that helps.
james