After some offline discussions, I want to clarify what I wrote
earlier.

1. IxDA isn't going to take a position in this dispute. As an
organization, we have no meaningful visibility into the issues, nor
do we have the resources to develop that visibility. Thus we are not
is a position to take a position, a must remain neutral.

2. We understand passion that the community feels on this subject.
Many of us are users of one or both of these products; no doubt
employees of both firms are members of the community as well. There
is likely to be a diversity of opinion and need here, and we ask that
members understand that as well.

3. Both the organization and some of our members could be exposed to
unpleasant legal consequences as a result of this discussion.
Therefore, we ask that those interested in continuing this discussion
do so offline, on one of your blogs perhaps, or in some other forum.

4. If someone in the community wants to organize a petition drive or
create any other action plan as a *private citizen*, of course you
may do so. But please refrain from doing so on the IxDA discussion
list. You may post a reference to your efforts here, but please
organize off-list. Also, your efforts will be your own: please don't
use the IxDA name.

5. Andrei's point about patent discussions on-list is an important
one an needs to be given serious thought. At this point, it looks
like there are two action items for the Board here.
        1) we will investigate the idea of an opt-in sandbox for
patent-related discussions. (Volunteers please contact me off-list.)
        2) we will discuss creating a policy to explicitly deal with these
types of discussions.

I hope folks will understand the organization's position here. We
are a young organization, and still learning and growing. From time
to time, issues emerge for which we have no precedent, and sometimes
it gets a little chaotic while we figure things out.

So I ask for your indulgence, goodwill, and cooperation.

Thanks,
Josh Seiden
President, IxDA Board of Directors