Sharing the same alma mater as both Jack and Uday may response may be
bias.  Unlike Jack and Uday I worked for several years as an UI
Designer and Interaction design before I attended CMU.
For many of us, our entrance into the filed has been serendipitous
%u2013 by either graphic design, architecture, computer science,
psychology or even writing. The opportunity to spend two years
getting a solid theoretical foundation coupled with opportunity for
experimentation and exploration of possibilities has been worth every
penny of my loans and missed income.
Adam, Marillian you both mentioned geography as a limitation. When I
began looking at Grad school I was given very sound advice by a
mentor:

If you are going to be picky (which you should be) about the school
you cannot be picky about the location.

In my own experience, I left my family, friends, job and great
produce in San Francisco to move to Pittsburgh PA.  Its been Just
over a year after graduation and many of my classmates remarked
missing school %u2013 though none of use miss the sleepless nights.

-Susan