People in my office seem to be obsessed with "best practices" lately - a notion that seems a bit ethereal to me. After all, splash pages, lead-based paint, burning witches, and other such concepts are now obsolete (or at least frowned upon). In the past, I have tried to steer people towards the idea that certain interfaces or features may be a "standard practice," but I am wondering if patterns are now the best evaluation tool.

Any thoughts?

./matthew