The original quest appeared to be: whats the best way to design, "Best
Practices" VS "Patterns", (I assume this meant some form of Patterns
Library")?

I believe "Best Practices" would drive the "Patterns", thus they are not
mutually exclusive.

Best Practices are contextual, meaning what is the whole of the design, and
how do these "Practices" aide the design. Interactions which in isolation
may seem counter intuitive, can be the best choice given the surrounding
circumstances, (and vice versa).

"Best Practices" not executed within a cohesive/well planned "Pattern
Library", (which is also a "Best Practice"), are nothing more then a grab
bag of design concepts, which by chance may or may not work well together.

Also I wouldn't consider Patterns an "evaluation tool", hopefully you come
up with the patterns upfront and utilize them in your designs.

Rich
 --
Joseph Rich Rogan
President UX/UI Inc.

On 6/30/08, Matthew Zuckman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> People in my office seem to be obsessed with "best practices" lately - a
> notion that seems a bit ethereal to me. After all, splash pages, lead-based
> paint, burning witches, and other such concepts are now obsolete (or at
> least frowned upon). In the past, I have tried to steer people towards the
> idea that certain interfaces or features may be a "standard practice," but I
> am wondering if patterns are now the best evaluation tool.
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> ./matthew

Joseph Rich Rogan
President UX/UI Inc.