Paul you're touching on context, and I beleive talking about "Apples VS
Oranges":

For instance, (this is exactly what we're presently dealing with):

Case 1 - different entities within a screen, (for a single logged in user):

In "Table X" different employees are displayed in rows.
There is a superset of options for all employees.
When one employee is selected only a subset of options are available
   >> In this case I would "disable" the "non-actionable" buttons

Case 2 - different users with different access rights to the system:

When "User - lower access rights" logs in, they only have access to a subset
of the total options, (they can never access "option A" lets say)
They also see "Table X"
Options which are "always" unaccessible for this user should not display
 >> In this case "Option A" button never displays for this "User - lower
access rights"

Case 1 has multiple "entities" for a single logged in user
Case 2 has multiple "access rights" for different logged in user types