The answer is it depends on what you are ordering, it also may depend on
where your participant is from, the length of the list.

On the question of ordering by country in our testing that we have done in a
remote study of over 100 participants, the findings where always list the
countries alphabetically. If you want to be clever place the top 5 countries
at the top of the list as well, but make sure that the country is listed
alphabetically as well. Less than 5% of your users will look at the top of
list.
People (at least in Germany/the Netherlands/Spain/UK/Austria/Italy) nearly
always look down the list to find their country in its correct alphabetical
order. When the country is promoted to the top of the list it adds
on average 15 seconds to peoples search time, and can lead to task
failure. Listing countries by region also does not work, but leads to a
lower failure rate than when the country is listed at the top of list out
of alphabetical order. One of the issues we had was on listing countries by
region was quite a high percentage of participants where unsure of which
region they where in.

We did not test with American participants, who may be used to the United
States been at the top.

Another test we carried out was to help people locate a bus stop using an
Ajax drop down. For this list quite a complex scoring system was used for
ordering the list. There where different weights for what characters the
user had entered, which region we thought the user was in, and popularity of
the bus stop. This worked better than a Alphabetical listing. The n on this
was about 40.

If you want to be more specific on what the list is I will see if we have
any findings to share.

James
http://blog.feralabs.com