On Feb 4, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Elizabeth Buie wrote:

Alphabetical order is no better than random order if the user does not know what to look for. Alpha order aids in scanning through a list of things with known names, to find the one sought.

I disagree that alphabetical is random; it is quite well-ordered by a
long-set of standing rules. It is also a means of ordering that people learn, in Western culture, from the day they begin to learn to read. As Chauncey says, it is the way to order when no other order makes sense.

Hmm, I would have to disagree with this. Alphabetical *is* better than random order, because human beings don't believe in random order. We always believe that there is a design of some sort (and thus we invented god, thank you Voltaire). And thus if your list of items were "random", users would try to make sense of the randomness, to impart a design behind it, to figure out what the heck is going on. To pattern match, if nothing else.

Alphabetic order indicates design intent of some sort, and while some users might wish for better design (like their country at the top of the list), at least they won't spend cycles trying to make sense out of what is supposed to have none. And thus they can move forward without worrying that they didn't "get" it.

-- Jim