Regarding your question about remote testing - I've done a great deal
of remote testing and have had excellent results. I've even run
pseudo-paper prototypes remotely using PhotoShop layers to handle the
paper switching. PowerPoint can be useful for that as well

As for software to use, I've had the best results by far with
GoToMeeting. It's simple to use and the performance is very good. It
also has some handy pen & highlighter tools that are useful when
having discussions about the UI with the participant on the other
end.

Remote testing is great because people can squeeze in tests right
from their desk whenever they have a spare hour or so, and
geographical location is virtually irrelevant - though time zone &
language may be for international testing.