I have my "welcome
<http://www.slideshare.net/jgarnett/welcome-to-the-foss4g-community>" talk
which covers what we do around here (open data, open standards, open
source, open collaboration).

Open data is a big part of what makes this community awesome.

That said OSGeo originally had open data as part of our mandate (with a
committee etc...). This mandate was scaled back last year, to recognize
that OSGeo is now pursuing open data through relationships with other
communities (such as the open layers community).

So to fit in with your theme, OSM / GeoNames / Natural Earth provide the
"open data" and OSGeo provides the "in action".

--
Jody Garnett