OK, so the files you have tested it with are not "known good" (in fact,
they're quite unusual being such a low bitrate). I recommend you get a
more conventional test file (rip or download a 128kbps mp3) and try
that. Also, you don't mention if you've tried the analogue outs from
the SB - try that.

My guess is that your 40kbps tracks are at a sample rate which is not
compatible with your digital connection - either the SB1 can't output
it (I believe it can only do 44kHz and 32kHz but I'm sure someone can
confirm) or your reciever can't understand it. In either case, a more
normal mp3 should confirm work, as should using the onboard DACs.

--
radish