I got delayed in work so didn't really get to look into this. Thank for
the pointer maggior, though I don't really follow - I don't see any
options on the MiP headless web page at http://localhost:10002 to
specify cache location. A 'Reload Cache' button did appear at one stage
so I clicked that.

Is the spicefly web page supposed to be much different from the
original - I only notice it being different in that it has a blue
background?

After running the MiP GUI for it to validate my collection for the
first time, I found the location of the default.m3lib file. So I then
set the mmm.ini file to that location (as in the mmm.ini snippet below)
- so does that mean both MiP GUI and MiP headless server should both now
be updating the same cache (i.e. m3lib file)?

But I think I may have found my problem - I had not ticked the 'Read
Song Data' in the MusicIP settings page in SC 7.2. I have ticked it now
and have started a Clear & Rescan in SC so will leave that overnight and
look at how it got on tomorrow.

[services]
key=
cache=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
Data\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\default.m3lib
port=10002
tivo=0
upnp=0
api=1