andynormancx;458311 Wrote:
> I don't know about the theory of why it can or cannot improve
> performance.
>
> I do however know that the three times I have replaced on G class boxes
> with N class it has more than doubled the effective range (and also lead
> to more reliable streaming at close range). That is with three different
> models of G class and three different models of N class.
>
> Maybe it is nothing to do with the N/G and just that the Ns were more
> recently designed and therefore took advantage of experience gained ?

Apparently, all radios are not created equal:

1. Belkin N-Mimo (F5D8233-4v3; 3.01.29 Aug. 15, 2008) (set for N/G
only)
2. Linksys 2.4G (WRT54G V6l 1.02.5 build 2, Jan. 9, 2008) (set for G
only)

Both configured identically in security, channel, etc. Both are
supposed to be the newest firmware. Tested in exactly the same location
attached with the same Cat 5e cable.

Three SB's:
belkin  linksys
1. boom         56     68
2. receiver     76     89
3. sb3          80     84

With a thin interior door closed, the sb3 was reading 65% from the
belkin and was re-buffering about every 15 seconds. This has never been
an issue with the linksys.

I was hoping for improved signal but it's not going to happen. (I'm
getting a little over 30% about 120 feet and one wall away at the dock
with the linksys and I was hoping to improve that so I could up the LAME
rate when I use the boom there..)

Luckily the belkin can find a new home fairly easily.

pski

real stereo (can almost weld)