ftlight;470331 Wrote:
> On 10/9/2009 10:42 AM, Goodsounds wrote:
> >
> > toby10;468493 Wrote:
> >> Yes, I'm not talking about paying for product placement.  I'm
> talking
> >> about precisely what I said, "bribe".   :)
> >> It happens at the store level, regional level, corporate level.
> >
> > Most companies have pretty strict policies against employee conduct
> of
> > this sort, and they monitor compliance. On both the buying and
> selling
> > sides, especially with these both being publicly owned companies. I
> > can't imagine payments to a customer's employee being approved at a
> > company like Sony.
> >
> > What are you basing your comment on?
>
> It's an ages-old practice in the audio industry - take a look at
> "Spiff"
> on Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiff

I'm quite familiar with spiffs.  The ones I've seen differ greatly from
"bribes" in that they happen in the sunshine, not under the table, with
full knowledge of all parties concerned (supplier, employer, store,
etc). To me, the term "bribe" implies a clandestine, unauthorized
payment for someone to do something they might not do otherwise, or that
they are perhaps not authorized to do, or to do something differently
from what they were instructed to do. And usually implies an illegality.
Spiffs that happen in the sunshine are legal. It's a supplemental sales
commission to someone who is paid to sell things.

I'll let the matter drop. I see a lot of instances in these forums and
elsewhere (even in real face to face life!) when people who only half
understand something assume they know much more than they actually do.
Especially in these forums, such mangled positions are often accompanied
by either a wikipedia link or language lifted from wikipedia. That's
fine, but someone who has no knowledge or understanding of a topic is
not going to magically become knowledgeable by reading a paragraph or
two in wikipedia.

I'll assume you guys know what you're talking about, I'll just add I
rarely see illegal payments and it's discouraging to me if you have.

--
Goodsounds