Hi all,

Just caught up with this discussion I started some time ago.  My, how
time gets away from you!!!

Anyway, for some strange reason, over the Easter break I had the
strange compulsion to apply ReplayGain tags to all 95000 MP3s I own,
for the purpose of playing them in Squeezecentre without having too
much of a volume shift.

Recently, I have just been playing a random mix stream from the server
via FooBar2000 on my media center PC, but of course it lacks the front
end functionality that SoftSqueeze has, and if I need to skip a track
in a hurry (like if the kids are around and swearing turns up in a
song) I have to run to the server and skip the track, which can take up
to 30 seconds to appear on Foobar.  So it's ok, but not ideal.

So I succumbed and went to RG, as applied in Foobar.  Now, as far as I
can tell, there is no real straight-forward documentation that I have
found that tells me exactly what all the settings for RG are and how to
apply them in FooBar, so I took the plunge anyway.

During testing today, I found that "Loose Booty" by Funkadelic was set
to -8db and barely audible, "Breed" by Nirvana was set to -13db and was
drawfed in sound by "Watch The Sunrise" by Big Star, the 12-string
acoustics in the song could almost be heard 2 streets away from here.

It just doesn't work.  Yes I'm having another bad experience with it.
Is there a clear, straight-forward way to get this to work???Lots of
people say it's perfect.  So what am I not doing?  All I did was
"Remove ReplayGain tags" to start with, and then "Scan per-track", then
rescanned the entire library again in Squeezeserver (incidentally that
last step in itself took 7 hours!!!)

Thanx so far for all your collective feedback.

--
Jippers