MrSinatra;584037 Wrote:
>   logitech could have supplied all the source code to a contractor and
> just set a price.  they could have had something early, and on ALL the
> devices out there, (iwhatever, android, etc) and if they had been
> first, they could have charged for major updates or whatnot.

As someone who comissions software this is just not the case - Pippin
will have put in far more work that he would have done and for far less
than if he was contracting/ employed for the simple reason that its
usccess matters to him more - he owns the IP, he has a stake in the
success of future versions, and (don't get me wrong, Pippin, this is a
compliment) he seems to have an obsessive desire to make his own (and
therefore our) SB experience as good as possible.

If this was contracted out, Logitech would be charged for all the
udpates/ bug fixes/ feature enhancements.  There would be Project
Mangament, software licences and a profit margin on the costs.  And it
would never be as flexible to user demands.

Bit off the discussion here, but thought I'd add my thoughts ...

--
JonWill

Main system: SB Classic, Musical Fidlity A1, Mission 733i speakers
SB Classic into old JVC microsystem (next thing on list to upgrade!)
SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
SB Radio
SB Server 7.5.1 (SSODS4) running on a Synology DS210J NAS
iPeng on iPhone 3GS