results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53800
Question: Should IPv6 be supported?

- Yes
- No
- I Don't Really Care
- What Is IPv6 Anyway?

Hi,

pski;608114 Wrote:
> This is blatantly false. Blatantly false is a euphemism for bullshit. I
> routinely use my music and my boom from anywhere. This is the beauty of
> the product.
>
> Just because you do not know how to do it doesn't mean it's not
> possible.
>
> See here:
>
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Enjoying_your_music_from_another_place

OK. let me rephrase. You cannot do this, without a public ipv4
address.

One thing that you have to keep in mind, is that once public
IP-addresses have run out, you will be put behind a NAT of the ISP for
your ipv4-to-ipv4 traffic. Do not expect that these "CGN" (Carrier
Grade Nat) services will offer port-forwarding.

The only way you can then have ipv4 peer-to-peer connectivity will be
via some kind of relay. OK, you can get a connection via a VPN-service
somewhere, but this actually is pretty much the same thing as "buying a
public ipv4 address".
Or you can get yourself a "business" subscription at your ISP -which
includes a fixed ipv4-address- but do not complain if you need to pay
(say) 20 euro a month extra for that.

Why would you get throu all this problem is you can just move to ipv6
and have full any-to-any connectivity between any device on the
planet?
- between your phone/tablet and your SB
- between your SB and a shoutcast server operated by somebody on her
private LAN-network at home
- between your SB and the NAS of a friend on his home-LAN
- between your SB and somebody elses in a peer-to-peer broadcasting
network.
- to receive ipv6 multicast stations (RP-embedded ipv6 multicast
addressing allows ANY ipv6 router to act RP for a multicast-stream so
everybody is able to start a radio-station using ipv6 multicast).

If you just use your SB to listen to an internet-radio station of some
large media-concern, ipv4 and nat and nat-after-nat will do just fine.
But if you want to go beyond that, ipv6 is an opportunity which allows
for all kind of new and decentralised services. Learn to use it and
image what you can do with it.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
krbonne