results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53800
Question: Should IPv6 be supported?

- Yes
- No
- I Don't Really Care
- What Is IPv6 Anyway?

Hi Pat,

>  All very true. But don't expect it to happen to anything in the current
> SqueezeBox line. None of the old products are going to change
> significantly. The Touch and Radio might, but I won't hold my breath.

Of course. I do not expect this to be written this in a week neither.

The only point I wanted to make is that one should not concider ipv6 as
just "a fix for the fact that the ipv4 address-space has run out". It's
much more than that. (see my other messages on that, I try not to
repeat myself to much :-) ).

It will take time for ipv6 to get deployed and for people to have this
"ok, as any device on the planet can now talk to any other deivce, so
perhaps we can use it for ..." moment, which is needed for the new
applications to dreamed up, coded and appear.

But, of course, if a box does not talk ipv6, there is no way it can
participate in this. :-)

I hope that the ipv4exhaustion will do its work. I see that the SB-code
will get upgraded to support ipv6 this year.
I've made my point so I rest my case.

> Agree the the rendezvous capabilities of IPv6 are great, and will make
> TV and movies much more interesting. But I don't see a need for audio,
> it so low in bandwidth requirements.

True. It would allow everybody to start their audio-stream from his/her
own private network. And it can also be used for other kinds of data
like status-updates or playlists.

> I just don't see it happening in the US because the ISPs are dragging
> their feet.

Try http://ipv6.comcast.com/ :-)

Cheeeerio! Kr. Bonne.

--