results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53800
Question: Should IPv6 be supported?

- Yes
- No
- I Don't Really Care
- What Is IPv6 Anyway?

pfarrell;608229 Wrote:
> >> I just don't see it happening in the US because the ISPs are
> dragging
> >> their feet.
> >
> > Really?
>
> Really. My ISP (Cox Communcations) responded with "what is that" when
> called and asked to get an IPv6 modem to my house.
>
> You cite Verizon starting to test over Fios. The net has allocated its
> last IPv4 block this week. Its all NAT from here on out.
>
> There is a big IPv6 test scheduled for June. If it works, commercial
> rollout will start then.
>
> Lots of feet dragging.
>
> Cisco has been making products and giving presentations and really
> pushing this for years, because they will get to sell tons of new
> routers, "cable modems" etc.

I would expect ANY ISP customer service to respond "What's that?".
They're not usually the brightest of the bunch when it comes to the
latest and greatest IT stuff. If they're not spoon-fed information
about new technologies, they don't usually know what they are. BTW...
'Cox is doing IPv6 trials'
(http://www.cable360.net/ct/data/Cox-Readies-to-Support-IPv6_43852.html)
as well.

Verizon's initial IPv6 tests over FiOS were last year around April,
about the same time as Comcast started doing their initial tests as
well.

And by the way... just because all of the IPv4 blocks have been handed
out to the regional NICs doesn't mean that EVERY address is in use as
of yesterday. Keep in mind that EVERY class A (/8)is 16.5 million IP
addresses... APNIC just received three of those (the last two that
could be requested, as well as a third that was part of the automatic
distribution). That 49+ million IP addresses will likely allow them to
get through most of this year, if not into next year. Similarly, the
other regional NIC's likely have more than a few smaller blocks of
addresses still available, in addition to the 16.5 million that they
each just received.

The clock is ticking, yes... but it's not doomsday yet. It's definitely
time for companies making networked devices to begin putting IPv6
support in though... it will be here before we all know it.

--
virgiliomi

home:
sb boom and duet
sb server 7.5.2 on a readynas ultra 2 plus

work:
sb radio
connected to mysqueezebox.com