Cape11;614910 Wrote:
> Well is it? Over sampling means there's no need for a filter, but my
> point was that the frequency response is shaped like a cliff edge, and
> over-ssampling can do nothing to remedy that under-lying condition. I
> remain concerned about possible phase distortion into the audio band
> which would have a deleterious effect on the leading edge of percusiion
> instruments. And that's what I miss on CD (the clink on the triangle
> when first hit, attack of piano notes) but get on LP.
>
> I would think 192 ksps would suffice, which is 'sort of' the sampling
> equivalent of SACD. If all these effects have been nailed, why is there
> almost universal agreement that SACD is better than CD?

There is almost universal misunderstanding. I'll leave to one side the
fact that large parts of the upper spectrum of SACD's are full of
noise... thankfully we can't hear it :-)

As I keep saying, SACD playback is not inherently superior to
redbook... in terms of what we can hear. That's the whole point of the
Meyer/Moran paper. They inserted a redbook adc-dac chain in the midst
of an SACD playback chain. Nobody could hear it! (this isn't the basis
for my argument, which I've been developing for years - it just neatly
backs it up).

What CAN BE better is the mastering job done to produce the SACD
(sometimes - there are some pretty ropey SACD's out there too...).

Don't be fooled into comparing the redbook and sacd layers of a hybrid
disk - they often don't use the same master, rendering the comparison
pointless. Of course, far be it for me to suggest that record companies
would deliberately make the expensive SACD layer sound better :-)

To reiterate, it's NOT the playback technology, it's the mastering.
Redbook can sound identical to SACD.

By the way, that frequency response cliff exists on many SACD's too...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF
x-dacv3/x-10/x-psu(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner,
Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber 8TC Speaker &
Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.