castalla;644561 Wrote:

> The total lack of any responses to posts on the Logitech Forum to the
> 7.6 mess suggests to me that they are either in shock or denial.

Logitech is a big company who doesn't prioritize talking to customers
in public. Not much different than other big companies. Apple silently
denied the iPhone antenna problem for months, and similar scenarios can
probably also be seen on a lot of other big companies.

Logitech not answering in the official support forum or this community
forum doesn't mean they don't help users, there are varied experience
with contacting their support, some good some really bad, but every one
that registers a support case will get some kind of answer on his/her
issue and can be sure someone is working on investigating it. So if you
want support, you need to register a support case.

Logitech is traditionally a hardware company, their developers,
especially those involved in Squeezebox, understand software
development but there are IMHO strong indications that their management
doesn't.

castalla;644561 Wrote:

> I don't take kindly to responses which claim greybeard status and
> implicitly question 'What you complaining about, whippersnapper ... ?'

Just be aware of that you probably have never seen such response from
any Logitech employee. When reading the official support forum it's
important to realize that there are also normal users like you and me
over there trying to answer questions and some of us sometimes gets
frustrated and give bad responses because we aren't trained support
personnel. We are just tired of all complaints and tired of Logitech
not doing proper testing of their products.

castalla;644561 Wrote:

> If you are so experienced in beta testing how the heck did you not
> advise that an official release of 7.6 should be delayed?

1.
The release was a surprise to us so we really didn't get the chance, I
think no one expected them to suddenly release 7.6 it felt like the
release was at least a month away, probably more.

2.
We did indicate it didn't work, I think there were only one beta tester
that argue that something should be released soon and as I've understood
that person hadn't even tried 7.6 so IMHO he didn't really know what he
was talking about in this case.

3.
I personally suspect that not even the Logitech developers sometimes
available on this forum was involved in the release decision. I'm 99%
sure none of them would recommend their management to release the
product at the state they knew it was before the release. It's
important to realize that Logitech is a big corporation and sometimes
the communication between different parts doesn't really seem to work
particularly good.

castalla;644561 Wrote:

> An official release usually implies that it won't totally reduce the
> end-user's system to chaos.  If it does, then a rapid retraction and
> apology is in order together with clear instructions on how to recover
> from the ruins of chaos!

I think more or less every community member and every Logitech
developer available on this forum agree with you, almost none of the
beta testers would have recommended Logitech to release 7.6.

However, Logitech's strategy to keep mysqueezebox.com in sync with SBS
makes it really hard to revert a release when it has been done, because
it will be chaos also if they revert 7.6 because:
- If they keep mysqueezebox.com at 7.6, users rolling back 7.5 are
going to be asked to upgrade their firmware when they switch to
mysqueezebox.com.
- If they rollback mysqueezebox.com to 7.5, users which have upgraded
to 7.6 and is happy with it, is going to be asked to downgrade their
firmware to 7.5 as soon as they switch to mysqueezebox.com.

So based on this I think:
- The only way for Logitech to solve this mess is to release a 7.6.1
version that works as soon as possible.
- We will never see any public apologies, Logitech doesn't communicate
with end users that way, never have, never will.
- The management within Logitech might not even know it's a problem,
because as previously said, the communication between different parts
really doesn't work. I believe it's a lot bigger chance the management
get to know there is a problem if everyone picks up the phone and call
their official support so it's completely overloaded with angry
customers.
- Complaining on this community forum is completely pointless, there is
no one from Logitech reading and forwarding these complains to the
management within Logitech. Some of the Logitech developers will see
the complains, because they do sometimes read this forum, but the only
thing the complaints are going to accomplish is making the developers
more frustrated, less happy with their management and all this will
just make it even harder for them to focus at fixing all the bugs so we
can get a 7.6.1 release. Complain to the official Logitech support or
the official support forum is a completely different matter, that will
raise the chance of someone within the management to understand there
is a problem, so this is something more users should do.

Finally, the only connection between this community forum and Logitech
is:
- Logitech pays for the hosting and administration of the community
forum.
- Some of the Logitech developers (not support staff) are using the
community to help them get feedback and help finding bugs when
developing a new software release.

Back in 2006, when Slim Devices owned the Squeezebox products, the
connection with the community was a lot stronger, then community
members were officially often even involved hardware beta testing and
the the Slim Devices management often both read and posted in this
forum. All that changed when Logitech bought Slim Devices.

I personally doubt anyone within Logitech management look at this
community forum as a beta testing group, but that's just my very
personal suspicion. The management definitely NEVER post here and ask
if the community think something is ready to be released.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))