AndrewFG;665859 Wrote:
> Unfortunately I think there is still a part of this story missing...
>
> Apple .M4A music files consist of a raw data music stream, that is
> wrapped inside an ISO MPEG4 file container.
>
> MPEG4 is an open ISO standard that defines a nestable structure of
> "boxes", where each such box has a name, and a predefined data payload.
> The ISO standard specifies some of the standard box names and their
> respective payloads. But the standard is extensible and allows vendors
> to add their own box definitions, and define their respective payloads.
> This works fine, because if a particular client does not understand the
> contents of a particular box type, it can ignore it and jump over to
> the next box.
>
> One such standard MPEG4 box is the music stream box; it may contain
> MP3, MP4, AAC, ALAC or proprietary raw stream data. Therefore it is of
> course excellent news that Apple has open sourced the ALAC format,
> because it increases the number of public domain raw data stream
> payload formats that the standard MPEG4 music stream box can carry.
>
> BUT, Apple still still uses other (proprietary) boxes to carry the
> track meta-data (i.e. the tags). These Apple proprietary metadata boxes
> obviously fit within the overall ISO format, and their names are known,
> and their payload structures have been reverse engineered. (So for
> example the SBS Scanner knows how to parse the tags). HOWEVER, so far
> as I know, these meta data tags have NOT been open sourced by Apple, so
> they could change the payload structures at whim, and thus "break" any
> third party applications that rely on them...
>
> => Dear Apple, please also open source your meta data boxes!!

Ok this means that this "open" support is basically useless we have to
rely on reverse engineered stuff anyway .

or *shrug* some one will use this knowledge and use alac with some
nonstandard tagging scheme :-/

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(in storage SB3, reciever )