tin wrote:

> I fail to understand why it was not possible. Sure it's not possible now
> (well not quite true, but not without a giant u-turn on the part of
> Logitech).
>
> If they had altered MSB to operate exactly the same as they want with
> UE, and make a brand new squeezebox work exclusively in that mode. Or
> even they could add a third "UE" mode, and again out of the box it only
> works in that mode. Then it's down to the user to willingly and
> knowingly decide to go into full squeezebox mode with some obscure menu
> item somewhere and it only works if the thing can detect a LMS on the
> network.

They probably wanted to change customer base, basically get rid of the
geeks and music enthusiasts and start attracting mass market users who
mainly want to listen to internet radio and don't ask for bug
corrections and new features all the time. Their only problem at the
moment is that the UE Smart Radio is too expensive for mass market
users, so the next UE Smart Radio product needs to be a lot cheaper.

By switching platform, they have the possibility to eventually shutdown
mysqueezebox.com in a few years when most Squeezebox users have moved on
to UE Smart Radio or more likely to some new exciting product from
someone else with similar functionality as the Squeezebox.

I can't say I'm impressed of the work they have done with the UE Smart
Radio so far, but it's the first iteration of a rebranded product, maybe
the first real UE Smart Radio product which they are probably working on
as we speak will show the full potential of their plan.

tin wrote:

> If LMS is the problem, maybe it's chewing up time for people on the
> payroll, turn it back over full time to open source.

All parts of LMS that can be open sourced already is open sourced.

The parts that aren't open source are those which Logitech doesn't have
the right to open source because the rights are owned by other companies
(installer and some codecs I think) or which Logitech can't open source
because it's their company identity/trademark (logos and other
graphics).

Except for this, mysqueezebox.com is heavily based on LMS, so even if
they would let community maintain LMS they would need to handle similar
changes on mysqueezebox.com themselves, so stop maintaining LMS would
only get rid of parts of the problem. By the way, the UE Music Library
server which is the local server used for UE Smart Radio is also heavily
based on LMS code. So possibly they might have got rid of some of the
problems by removing a lot of functionality in UE Music Library server.