AndrewFG wrote:
> I have been doing some testing:
>
> LOCAL 96K OR 192K FLAC FILES SERVED BY LMS
>
> - Radio, Squeezeplay:  LMS down samples using "flac.exe | sox.exe
> $resample"; audio intelligible; no buffer stalls
> - I suppose ditto for Duet, Squeezebox
> - Transporter:  LMS just sends the file; audio is intelligible; no
> buffer stalls;
> - I suppose ditto for Touch
>
> REMOTE 96K OR 192K FLAC STREAMS SERVED BY A 3RD PARTY SERVER
>
> - Radio, Squeezeplay:  Audio intelligible; but there are frequent buffer
> stalls
> - Using direct streaming or indirect (proxy via LMS) makes no
> difference
> - Transporter:  At 96k the audio is intelligible; no buffer stalls; but
> at 192k the output is white noise
>
> I don't have a Touch so cannot test it.
>
> Conclusions:
>
> 1) Apparently the newer players have DACs that can handle hi-res audio,
> but they don't have the buffer capacity for it
>
> 2) One oddity is that Transporter can play a 192k Flac served by LMS but
> it outputs white noise on a 192k Flac from a 3rd party server

Be careful - the standard Touch kernel only supports 96k sample rates
with the built in devices - you will need the EDO kernel for 192k and
then only on spdif/usb, the built in analog won't work.  I very much
doubt you will really get above 96k though with the other devices as
there's no kernel driver support for them.  The alsa layer can do
resampling, but I suspect this will result in lots of cpu load and no
real benefit.

You should could test against squeezeplay or squeezelite on linux for
192k support - I would expect this to work with your server as long as
the send buffer is large enough in your server - the clients will wake
approx once every 100ms if starved of data, so you want to make sure
your server can maintain a streaming rate.