You may need some CAD skills prototyping and -design- skills for a
product .

Prototype can lurk in an over the counter generic box or a shoebox
(shoebox lid can work as temporary circiut board to :) just punch holes
for component legs ) , but to actually sell it to more than 100 people
it has to be cosmetically acceptable . Imo the SB3 is a classic it have
never looked better , transporter is ok so but it align a little bit to
audiophile design aesthetic (if something looks like a steam powered
difference engine with computer control it sells in those quarters )
.SB2 looks like a modem . Touch is ok as it resembles SB3 but it could
improve a bit .

Prototype boards etched at home is one thing a multilayer smd pcb thats
possible to manufascture probably demands skills and software i haven’t
heard of :) but sure there are such people here , there sure is some
kind of file you send to chines plant and order a test batch of 10000
boards ,just joking but there probably is challenge to have some scale
of economics in small series .

And tight control of the design spec who should be detailed and in
control , the audiophiles would discuss dac chips until the end of days
:)

But on the positive side it could have some unique design specifics ,
for example fpga based filters the forum has such a designer (hello John
) with uncomercial tweaks like headromm for intersample overs (no
specman ship ) .

It could also build heavilly on squeezeplay fitting it to more memory
and cpu and have some if its bugs fixed and added flexibility .

I foresee that a debate would be screen or no screen . I'm for no screen
in the first "community squeezebox" as it removes all design headaches
of an UI and removes components that probably are cheap and common in
large scale products like phones but I doubt the prices are any good if
you want 200pcs for a small null series .