JohnSwenson wrote:
> There should be no soldering needed to make the board useful. The wifi
> is a mini-PCIe form factor, it just pushes into the socket. You DO have
> to plug in an antenna of some sort, its a standard UFL jack on the
> module.
>
> All the other connectors are on the board, putting it in the case is
> just putting it in place so the connectors go through the holes and
> either screwing the board in or pushing down onto some of those nylon
> hold downs.
>
> I really want to put the DAC on the GEN1 board. It's a new design I
> haven't used before and I want to have a platform to play around with
> the internal DSP. I want to find out how good we can make this sound.
>
> Someone else brought up an interesting aspect, if the DSP is done in the
> DAC, it can't be applied to the S/PDIF or USB. For just straight
> playback, that won't matter since the only thing I will be doing with at
> least at first is the interpolation filter, which is already included in
> any external DAC. For long term GEN2 it might be best to have the FPGA
> DSP based system, then you can do anything you want and it will be
> useful for all outputs. But that is definitely NOT going to be in GEN1.
>

> I did some more poking around the processor/memory issues, it's a bit
> more complicated than I thought at first. It looks like the best bet for
> GEN1 is a 720MHz processor and 256MB RAM. This does not have TDMI
> interface, it does have an LCD interface. For GEN2 a 1GHz processor and
> 512MB RAM, this comes with a full blown video controller and built in
> HDMI and VGA interface. No need for external chips, just hook up
> connectors. The GEN1 is a much simpler board layout task so I would like
> to go with it. I COULD do the faster processor from the get-go, put its
> more work and costs a little more (about $10 more for the board, about
> $15 more for the processor and $20 more for the  memory).
>
> I actually did a full quote on board costs and its actually right around
> what I thought, the board and assembly for a GEN1 will be $64 for 25,
> The GEN2 is about $75. So the rest of the cost is the parts which look
> like around $90 to $100 for a Gen 1. So that hits the $170 for the
> board. It's $35 for the wifi module which you can add at any time. The
> place I'm working with does the parts procurement as well, so it's just
> send files and money and a couple weeks later get a box of fully
> assembled boards.
>
> The Gen1 board will have no display, so all development has to be over
> ssh or serial port. I'll probably put a serial port on it so you can
> have a hardware console during boot.
>
> So it looks like it will have an ethernet jack, 2 USB-A jacks, serial
> jack, S/PDIF coax, 2 RCA jacks, SD card (probably a micro), power jack,
> socket for Wifi module. Anything else I need in there?
>
> The big question is, should it have a headphone jack. The easy,
> inexpensive headphone circuits are not all that great and add more
> [...]

Hello John,
Once again, I must say a BIG THANK YOU for all of the work you have
already contributed!  I do not think we would have an issue at all
achieving the 25 unit order.

My thoughts for the Headphone jack for GEN1 is "simple, cheap, not so
great".  We can always change that later with GEN2.  If TOSLINK is
possible without introducing complexity I say we should include it.

I have started a list of things we will need going forward.  Please
include your username for anything you want to help or assist with and
copy and paste this list in your post (so it continues to grow):
1)  Hardware design and implementation - John S.
2)  Compiling OS/Building a bootable image/Writing automated scripts/Etc
(this will break out much further in the future) - Dustin (Me)
3)  Squeezelite Player - Triode
4)  Case design - ? (Any designers out there with CAD abilities)
5)  Distribution - ? (Depending if we need to ship to just one location
and then send out to buyers from there)
6)  Marketing/Name of the new product- This is really for in the future
but never to early to start thinking about it
7)  Website Creation/Technical Hosting of files, scripts, news, shipping
updates, product updates, etc. - (Not sure we want to have these items
spread all throughout this forum...I think we should have a dedicated
site)

Thanks!
Dustin