A properly configured wired network will typically function without
issues unless a piece of hardware fails. But wireless, particularly G,
is susceptible to all kinds of interference as noted by others. It's one
reason why I avoid wireless whenever possible and, when I can't, will
often use a separate wireless N router as a bridge instead of using the
wireless G in the SB (plug the SB into the bridge with an ethernet
cable, bridge connects to main wifi router).

But I've seen all kinds of bad networking practices. Poorly configured
DHCP can cause lots of problems (scope too small, lease too long, static
IPs assigned but not excluded from the scope). You may want to take some
time and document your network configuration in some detail if you
haven't already. If you would like a template, I can give you a fill in
the blank of what you should know about your network. Sometimes going
through the exercise will reveal a conflict or misconfiguration that
will explain the anomalous behavior.

Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS
7.7.3 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic ->
NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2