I have heard one or two comments that the WiFi performance can degrade
when the power supply degrades.. May not be so easy to try that one out.

I have to say though I've run a SB touch on WiFi running 8-12 hours per
day streaming radio services and with WiFi strength generally over 60%
all day I've had only occasional issues. This was when using dhcp on
both a crappy d-link and a high quality draytek access point. Occasional
issues for me means about once every few hours it might rebuffer.
Occasionally the draytek crashed, which turns out to be a firmware bug
when wmm is enabled. Disabled that and no issues since.

I also had a receiver running on WiFi for well over two years with no
issues but it's in the  room as the access point and I don't use it as
much so I probably wouldn't have noticed.. :)