it appears that the dac in the choromecast audio is 24/192 but the
chromecast audio can only go up to 24/96 in its current form;.
For its price though nothing touches it (including the pi) - this seems
quite interesting;
http://archimago.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio.html

My two main listening areas have Onkyo amps in now with chromecast
audios in, there are another 7 zones so I can utilise various old kids
powered speakers for kids bedrooms. Our outside zones have chromecast
audios feeding cheap and cheerful amps driving outside speakers under
the eaves of the house
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Breeze-Audio-TPA3116-HiFi-2-0-Audio-Stereo-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Advanced-50W-50W-Sound-good/32664243769.html

I use Plex for all my bluray rips already so it makes sense for me to
use this for music as well (to supplement the streaming services).

The big plus point for the CC audio is that its a simple device that
just works - there is no trickery required - and the sync is absolutely
perfect. all 9 zones are in earshot of each other and there is no drift
whatsoever - something i was never able to achieve on Squeezelite/LMS
despite spending hours and hours of trying. The family really love it.

What is missing is someone to hack a squeezebox style portable radio
together using a chromecast audio inside and an old 4 inch touch screen
device and package it up to look like nice.