megarat wrote:
> The LD's native digital audio is Redbook-esque, but not precisely so,
> being 16 bit and 44056 Hz.

That's the first time I've ever heard that. My inner skeptic wonders how
that would work when plugged into equipment expecting 44.1 and why an
oddball sample rate like that wouldn't completely break DTS. Are you
sure that's the real sample rate and, if so, that players don't already
concert to 44.1 before outputting? Though I also have trouble believing
circa 1990 consumer equipment could convert on the fly that well.

On the other hand, maybe you're right and it explains why I got
intermittent single sample pops when attempting to capture LD output via
optical TOSLINK into a standalone CD recorder.