atrocity wrote:
> Yep...I did things backwards and Googled that AFTER I stupidly
> questioned it in public. :)
>
> But I still wonder what really comes out of the digital output. I
> started using the optical output on a Panasonic player into a Sony
> receiver circa 1992 and everything just worked, with the Sony indicating
> a 44.1 sample rate. Is 44.056 simply close enough that nothing complains
> or is the output upsampled to 44.1?
Good question. I guess on these old devices we can exclude any
upsampling. There wasn't any computing power to do that in a player.
In case of my Transporter i think it plays back the files simply 0.1%
faster out of its buffer. A 1kHz tone becomes 1001Hz then. I doubt you
can hear that.

Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA
monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers