TomAmes wrote:

> I will now re-focus my anxiety onto the Boom in the kitchen that has
> been doing yeoman's work for several years now and is still chugging
> along without complaint.

Haha - 're-focus my anxiety', I like it.

I've had similar thoughts.  For me the primary attraction of the Boom is
the fabulous sound quality, with tone controls to tune it to taste.  I
almost never use the controls on the front or look at the display.  So
I've often thought about getting a bluetooth speaker and replacing the
guts with a little Rpi (the Pi Zero W looks ideal).  I've never got as
far as researching a suitable bluetooth speaker.  The Bose Wave radios
also get good reports, so I've thought about buying one 'for parts' ,
and seeing what could be done with a Pi inside.

Actually, if my Boom ever dies it would make more sense to use that as
the basis for a 'Pi inside' project - there's a class D amp in there
that could probably be fed from the Pi.  It would probably lose the tone
controls unfortunately.