Sorry, perhaps I made an invalid assumption. I assumed Apple Lossless
was just a lossless variant of AAC. Don't they both have the same file
extension?

At any rate, what I want is a compressed lossless format like FLAC or
Apple Lossless that is natively supported by both iTunes and
Squeezebox. My music server does not have the horsepower to convert the
datastream to another format on the fly. And I don't want it converted
to a lossy format like MP3.

If my music is stored as FLAC, then iTunes won't play it. And if it is
stored as Apple Lossless, then Squeezebox won't play it.

Is there no solution to this that doesn't involve on-the-fly format
conversion on the server?

--
samlw