mikerob Wrote:
> Although I understand that non-DRM AAC isn't proprietary - it is defined
> as part of the MPEG-4 standards.

But Apple Lossless (ALAC) is not AAC, or MPEG-4, and as far as I know
is not available for licensing. So whilst Slim could (in theory) add
native AAC support, I don't believe it's possible for them to add ALAC.

bishopdonmiguel Wrote:

> Let the user choose the best flavor for their situation without the
> worry about burdening the server.

I think you're at odds with the SlimDevices ethos - that the player
should be, well, slim. Computing power at the server end is cheap, and
the player end it's expensive. In my case my server isn't doing
anything else most of the time, it may as well be transcoding. I'd
rather that than pay $100 extra per player to do it at the other end.
YMMV.

--
radish