Josh Coalson;143003 Wrote:

> you know, once you went with WMAL you pretty much tethered yourself
> to microsoft.  all microsoft has to say is 'no' to slimdevices or
> price the license too high, or ... and that's it.

For very light values of "tether", considering that it's a lossless
format and there are freely downloadable SDKs and API documentation.
WMA Lossless definitely isn't as open as FLAC, but it's no Apple
Lossless, either.

Anyway, open source arguments notwithstanding, the current situation
kinda sucks for lossless people.  There's no lossless format that will
natively work on the best software (Windows Media Player 11, which only
supports WMA Lossless), the best portable device (the iPod, which only
supports Apple Lossless), and the best networked device (the
Squeezebox, which only supports FLAC).

Which is why I'm converting my WMA Lossless library into a FLAC library
(for use with the Squeezebox) plus an MP3 "cache" (for use with
everything else).  I figure that portable devices and PCs are
compromised enough that MP3 should be good enough -- and if I really
care about sound quality over usability on the PC at some point, I can
just use Foobar to directly play the FLAC library.

--
mkozlows