Josh Coalson;143065 Wrote:

> yeah, I see what you're saying, but as far as I know the libraries are
> binary-only and only work on windows, they're not going to help anyone
> except those already tethered to microsoft.  maybe you mean it at least
> allows you to transcode on a windows machine?

It lets you, at the very least, have a very good expectation that you
can switch to something else at any time.  If WMA Lossless works best
for you now (because you love WMP11, have an Xbox 360 and XP MCE, and a
Gigabeat S, for instance), you can put your music into WMA Lossless
without worrying that you're getting permanently locked into a roach
motel... or tethered to Microsoft.

> all that said, the basic problem is choosing closed, proprietary codecs
> designed to lock you in, then asking for support for them from the
> competitors of the codecs' creators.

But Slim Devices isn't a competitor of Microsoft.  They are -- or could
be -- a partner, like Roku or D-Link or the other people making
PlaysForSure devices.  (And none of those can play WMA Lossless,
either; but partners making feature request of Microsoft aren't the
same as competitors doing so.)

Obviously, Slim hasn't historically been particularly interested in
being a part of the full-on Microsoft ecosystem -- and based on how
badly the PlaysForSure partners have gotten fucked over with Zune,
that's probably a good decision -- but they're still not a competitor
in the way that Apple is.

> I think your solution of using FLAC + MP3 is the most reasonable
> right now.

Me too... for me.  But if I didn't have a Squeezebox, or lacked the
technical inclination to make Foobar become a reasonable program, it'd
be hard to argue with WMA Lossless.

--
mkozlows