Couldn't most of this be solved by having a "simple view" with advanced tabs
you could delve into if desired?

I've modified several of the options that you listed as unnecessary, and I
would lament having them removed in the name of simplicity.  That said, I do
acknowledge that there are many advanced settings I do not touch, and it's
quite possible that the majority of users don't modify any of the advanced
settings.

It seems that often software has basic setup panels with advanced panels you
can view if desired.

This isn't high on my priority list personally, but it could make the
product more user friendly to newbies.

On 6/6/07, Michael Herger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Bjorn

> I've thought about this for a while, and I have come to the conclusion
> that slimserver is one of the most complicated pieces of leisure time
> software on my computer. In short from a UI perspective I think it is
> really bad.

While I do not agree with this global verdict, I do so with your main
point. In fact, your examples show one thing: there are too many options.
That's not a UI problem ;-). (BTW: Most of the parameters you list have
been asked for by users)

> One idea could be to collapse many of the performance related options
> into a single setting for running on normal or low performance
> hardware.

A simplified view on the settings would indeed do some good to the
slimserver.

> E.g. the "Various Artists" setting should be a
> translatable string.

I'll have a look at this.

> I'm not gonna ditch my SB if this does not change, but I surely would
> be even happier with it if it did. Any chance of that?

You could give my NoSetup plugin a chance: it will hide all settings
pages. As this is all you're complaining about, it might solve your
problem :-).

--

Michael