erland;281115 Wrote:
> 1.
> The "Third-Party SlimServer Plugins" entry should probably be named
> SqueezeCenter instead of SlimServer
>
> 2.
> What about third party skins, third party clients, third party applets
> for SqueezePlay ?
> It might be suitable to either name the top level entry "Third party
> software" or divide it into several entries.

I was thinking of a meta-category called "Third-party add-ons" (or
something similar), with subcategories for SqueezeCenter Plug-in,
SqueezeCenter Skins, Squeezebox Controller Applets, and so on.

> 3.
> I would like some place to put setup tutorials that explains how to
> setup different things, specifically I'm thinking of how to accomplish
> different things with combination of several third party plugins.
> Basically, I would like to move everything I currently have on my own
> wiki regarding this to the new Logitech wiki:
> http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer_Configuration_Examples
>
> It might also be a good idea to think about the structure under third
> party plugins, it would be really useful if it was possible to enter
> some more information for each plugin not just a link to the developer
> site. Personally I would like to move the stuff regarding my own
> plugins that now is stored on my own wiki to the new Logitech wiki:
> http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer_Plugins
>
> This information needs to be easy to find, I suppose it could be put
> under a new "Third party software" entry or under the "SqueezeCenter"
> entry, but I'm not sure if a new user will be able to find it in either
> places.

We could use a mediawiki template to provide a structure that would
encourage developers to provide a full set of information about their
app/plug-in/skin/etc.  I'm not that familiar with their templates, but
I'm thinking that might be a good way to get consistent information.

If anyone out there does know mediawiki templates, let me know if you
think this could work.

> 4.
> A "Do It Yourself" or "Customization projects" or some similar section
> would be interesting in addition to the DIY forum that currently exist.
> Making explanations about finished DIY projects available on the wiki
> will make them easier to find than in the current DIY forum where they
> are hidden among all other DIY stuff.

Excellent idea.  I think we should definitely add this category.

> 5.
> Maybe it would be suitable to have a "Developers guide" or something
> similar on the top menu to make it easier to find the developer related
> stuff which is now found in various places.

I was thinking that we might create an entirely separate namespace for
the Developer Wiki... that seems--on the surface, anyway--to allow for
the end user-oriented wiki not to appear overly complicated, while
maintaining the ability to search across the entire wiki (or constrain
it to the section you want to search).

Mediawiki uses namespaces for separating policy pages/discussion from
content pages/discussion.  They view it as public viewing and viewing
intended for your editing community, which sounds a *lot* like what we
want to accomplish; just replace "policy" with "how the SqueezeCenter
sausage is made" and we're in alignment.

-=> Jim

--
JimC

"well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that."  --
BKlaas' college buddy