As I'm a part-time audiophile nerd i want access to my 380GB of flac
files.
So a mini-itx pc suited me, just fine (look in the DIY section).

It's quiet and energy efficient, can be booted and shutdown from your
remote (or the internet).

The idea of an serverless SB or Small SB base station looks
attractive.

But i have two issues with it.

The needs are very personal, there is no "one size fits all solution",
I suppose this is one rationale behind Logitechs design decisions to
let you provide your own infrastructure.You get what you
want/need/already have.
There a lot of alternatives from home servers  to professional file
servers 0$ PC found in the dumpster, NAS etc.

Quality and functionality ? If you want to have a device that's matches
the SB/SBR/SBC/transporter and Squeezecenter, well it's not one of the
cheapest NAS'es?
The high end NAS that cuts it are surpassingly similar to a small
computer ;-)

You can sacrifice performance and live with it if YOU decide to do so.

But i can't imagine Logitech offer a box thats does that, (imagine the
flame war). Here's the catch the small cheap plastic thingy many wants,
won't do the job properly. And the market for small home server's are
for company's better suited to offer such products.

Just my 0.02$

--
Mnyb