On Wed, 21 May 2008 20:55:15 -0700, "random_tox"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I'm a loyal customer. I've owned at least 5 Squeezeboxes over the years
> and currently (try to) use two SB3's in my home, and softsqueeze at the
> office. I've been an advocate and sold many friends on the products and
> concepts of Slimdevices. I still plan to go big and get a Transporter
> just as soon as there is software to match that incredible piece of
> equipment.
>
> But I'm after a long, blissful, year of enjoying a well tuned
> Slimserver 6.5.something and ignoring updates, I made the mistake of
> trying 7.0. I'm going to vent. I'm sincerely not trying to offend, but
> maybe light a fire.

So, apparently you do like 6.5?

> Here's my list of what is dumb:
>
> -Software reliability: Please call a beta version (buggy, untested,
> unreliable, even though a few of us geeks can get it running) a beta
> version. Don't make it the default download until you have some
> indication that it is going to work for your customers. Helping
> troubleshoot my job and not a hobby I enjoy when I'm trying to listen
> to music. and I just want the latest version that will actually work.
> 6.5.x, right? 7.x is beta. Release candidate, tops. Your not under the
> same pressure as a software company to release, release, release.
> You're hardware is only as reliable as your software and sales will
> suffer.

I've had no such problems.

> -Effects and animation: You know how we all make fun of flaming
> animated .GIF images on crappy amature webpages? Same thing. Just
> because it's neat doesn't mean you have to put it in. These features
> serve only to remind us that you've been using your resources to
> integrate spinning CD images instead of fixing bugs and improving
> performance. It's a browser interface, not a feature film. Present the
> information quickly and orderly. No one is impressed by a chunky, slow
> transparent overlay that doesn't present anything useful. Why do you
> think Vista (Window XP, Millenium Ed.) is tanking?

Which animated gifs are we talking about?
They must be really subtle cause I don't notice them.
Realistically, most people do like a shiny webpage, and for me SC is as
quick as SS was.

> -Settings: I was very happy to read that supposedly 7.X would keep my
> previous settings. Wrong. I can't even get it to run without a complete
> nuke of the previous install, which nukes my settings. Also, it's dumb
> that after all these years, I still have to set each player's settings
> individually each time I "upgrade" versions. Give us a persistant
> default player settings interface as well as individual player
> settings. And god, would someone re-org the settings? There must be 50
> pages worth that are in nearly random order.

That's a very angry feature request you're writing.
I don't mind a reinstall myself as long as it's limited to major version
upgrades.

> -Slim Network requirement: Give me a break. I'm sure many people find
> the Slim Network a useful service, but there is no reason these devices
> can't operate without any communication beyond their local network if
> that's what the user wants. I don't want to give you an address, or
> password, or info about when my player is on or off, or anything. You
> got my money and that the only demographic info you need.

SC works fine without squeezenetwork.

> -tray icon: Just what the world needs. One more tray icon that does
> nothing useful (unless you count "starting... starting... starting"
> indefinately until I uninstall/reinstall as useful). What is the
> fascination? Did the marketing department come up with it? Why does it
> take 13 megs of memory 24/7 to tell me nothing I don't already know?

Ah, you're a veteran Windows user!

> -Slim/Logitech: You guys/gals are acting dumb. How can the company that
> hatched such a brilliant product concept still be mired with such a
> crappy, unfriendly software implimentation? I'm a vetran technology pro
> and I find your stuff is a pain in the butt. How can I recommend it to
> technically moderate family and friends that need something to be
> intuitive and easy and works out of the box? Every home should have
> several of you devices, but your ship will sink first if you take
> another x years to publish a decent interface.

They don't seem to be sinking very hard, do they? AFAICT the duet is a
major success.

> -Me: I'm dumb for wasting my time writing this. Won't change anything.
> Probably get sensored.

You probably mean 'censored', no, this kind of rants pop up occasionally
to bore us all, they're not censored. The threads are closed if they're
too inflammatory, that's not censorship. I don't think your's will be,
though.

> -Me again: I'm also dumb for "upgrading" to 7. Let me know when it's
> 7.5.x. I'll be back on 6.5ish.

Funny thing is, that this sort of rant probably shows how strongly
people feel about their squeezeboxes, which is a good thing in itself.
It's hard to please everyone, businesses go broke trying.

Regards,
Peter