You might be able to use the dataset we published here :

https://zenodo.org/record/14809#.V-P6e5MrKis

Unfortunately, we didn't specifically ask a question on programming
languages used, but you might be able to infer this based on their
languages, and some research software written in a specific language).

We're following up on that survey soon so I will see if we can add an
optional question on programming language to subsequent surveys.

Best regards,
Neil

On 12 September 2016 at 14:47, Jared Berghold <jared.bergh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know if someone has attempted to find out what the most popular
> programming languages are by research discipline?
>
> This would be useful information when developing and targeting
> tools/libraries for use by particular research groups.
>
> Some kind of mapping between the Australian FOR (Fields of Research) codes
> (see:
> http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/6BB427AB9696C225CA2574180004463E),
> or their overseas equivalent, and preferred programming language would be
> ideal.
>
> Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jared

Neil Chue Hong
Director, Software Sustainability Institute
EPCC, University of Edinburgh, JCMB, Edinburgh, EH9 3FD, UK
Tel: +44 (0)131 650 5957
http://www.software.ac.uk/

LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/neilchuehong
Twitter: http://twitter.com/npch