From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.software-carpentry.org] On Behalf
Of Neil Chue Hong (SSI)
Sent: Friday, 23 September 2016 1:40 AM
To: Jared Berghold <jared.bergh...@gmail.com>
Cc: Software Carpentry Discussion <discuss@lists.software-carpentry.org>
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Programming language by research discipline

You might be able to use the dataset we published here :

https://zenodo.org/record/14809#.V-P6e5MrKis

Unfortunately, we didn't specifically ask a question on programming languages
used, but you might be able to infer this based on their responses about common
software used (which includes some programming languages, and some research
software written in a specific language).

We're following up on that survey soon so I will see if we can add an optional
question on programming language to subsequent surveys.

Best regards,
Neil

On 12 September 2016 at 14:47, Jared Berghold <jared.bergh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know if someone has attempted to find out what the most
> popular programming languages are by research discipline?
>
> This would be useful information when developing and targeting
> tools/libraries for use by particular research groups.
>
> Some kind of mapping between the Australian FOR (Fields of Research)
> codes
> (see:
> http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/6BB427AB9696C225CA2574180004
> 463E), or their overseas equivalent, and preferred programming
> language would be ideal.
>
> Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jared

Neil Chue Hong
Director, Software Sustainability Institute EPCC, University of Edinburgh,
JCMB, Edinburgh, EH9 3FD, UK
Tel: +44 (0)131 650 5957
http://www.software.ac.uk/

LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/neilchuehong