For the UK High Performance Computing (HPC) field, there was a White Paper
published last year by Andrew Turner analysing CPU-usage by programming
language on the UK National HPC Facility, ARCHER, and trends compared to
its forebears:

http://www.archer.ac.uk/documentation/white-papers/app-usage/UKParallelApplications.pdf

There's some interesting analysis in the paper, but the bottom line (Table
3) is that the fraction of the CPU time for each language is:

         (2010)    (2015)
Fortran   63%        69%
C++        9%         7%
C          0%         6%
Unknown   29%        19%

These are, of course, skewed by the handful of parallel HPC codes people
use a lot (10 programs account for ~66% of usage).

All the best,

Phil Hasnip

Dr Phil Hasnip            Email: phil.has...@york.ac.uk
Dept of Physics
University of York        Tel:  +44 (0)1904 324624
York YO10 5DD