Apologies if this is a bit off-topic, but:

Note that in recent months (at least the last 4 months or so) you will
be blocked from starting up a new AWS instance for at least the first few
hours after you first try, until they verify your account.  Presumably this is
to stop people from creating fake accounts and running up compute before being
caught.

This puts a serious monkey wrench in any workshop that doesn't have people
sign up *and try to start a new instance at least the night before the
workshop*.

(This change in AWS practice happened sometime around our workshop at Scripps
Institute of Oceanograph,
https://2016-metagenomics-sio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/, so before October 12,
2016.  We had 17 people unable to start their instances.  Fun fun fun!)

I've talked to some AWS folk about it and so far there has been nothing they
could do other than take a list of accounts to prevalidate (which didn't work
the one time we tried to do it).

Largely for this reason, I'm going to seriously try out JetStream as an
alternative to AWS in the next few months.

best,
--titus