mark wrote:

The most prevalent means of spreading viruses is through binary attachments to plain-text e-mail messages. Precisely the manner of transmitting complex documents most loudly advocated for by those opposing html-mail.

This, in fact, ain't so. I get, oh, a hundred or hundred and fifty (or more) spams a day, and they don't usually have attachments.

First, you really need to get a better ISP. I get very few little spam, maybe 1 or 2 a day at most, because my ISP uses SpamAssassin to filter incoming and outgoing mail. What little spam I do receive is almost entirely from companies I do business with and the Bayesian filter in Mozilla hasn't quite figured out the difference between a bill notification and an offer for a lower rate mortgage when they both come from the same domain and addy. Other than that, the spam I do receive is as likely to be in plaintext as html. So htmlmail != spam. And for the record spam != virus. Two completely different problems.

What *is* common is HTML mail with a link that says one thing... but if you look at in as plaintext, it actually points to somewhere else. Most folks receiving that don't look at it as plaintext - a lot probably have "original HTML" on, and don't see the falsity of the link.

Different problem. This is usually connected to a phishing scam and involves taking you to somewhere that looks like a legitimate site -- ebay or whatever -- but is actually a fake. Then they proceed to steal your identity. You actually have to do about 3 or 4 stupid things in a row to get caught in one of those.

Any half-decent spam filter will treat attachements and core messages
the same ways. ie if it's blocked as attachement, it will be blocked as
message and the reverse is also true.

Whatever. It still doesn't have anything to do with your assertion that html-mail spreads viruses.

Think about it: If html-mail is associated with spam -- and I will gladly stipulate that there is a statistical correlation -- and if 1) ISPs filter much of that spam as mine does, and if 2) much of the rest is caught by individual e-mail clients, as mine is, and if 3) most people simply delete what does get through all that, as I do, then
html-mail is a spectacularly ineffective vector for malware.

What's much more effective is an otherwise innocuous-appearing e-mail from someone you know that has a binary attachment -- perhaps a Word doc with a malicious macro. That's precisely how most of these really bad worms are spread. The message isn't html precisely because they know that will trigger spam-blockers, and being from someone you know it is very likely to be on your "whitelist", both in terms of your e-mail client and in your own head. The result is that you are orders of magnitude more likely to perform the enabling actions that the virus needs to spread.

My biggest hazard with html-mail is that I'll open a spam that will then bang a server to get an image which confirms that my addy is live. But even so, if that was a huge problem I would certainly be getting more spam than I am. And I've had this addy for the last 3 or 4 years with little problem.

--

Rod