On 3 Dec 2006 at 2:32, Metin Akbil wrote:

> > Larry Gusaas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Without including (Turkey) you would not know which alphabet was used.
>
> > The Kurds have been discriminated against and denied a homeland for
> > centuries. Turkey has a long history of human rights violations against its
> > citizens of Kurdish origin.
>
> Isn't that what the language selection is for?

The locale  setting is the language selector. The hierarchy under Options -
Language Settings - Languages is:
 Language of / Locale setting / Kurdish(Turkey)
This sets the language as used in a specific locale. There is nothing political
about
this. Their is nothing technically incorrect in doing so. As I mentioned in the
part
of my post that you clipped Kurdish in Turkey uses a different alphabet than in
other countries.

> Also please let's get the facts straight, the Kurdish terrorist
> organisation PKK has been responsible for the murder of 10s of
> thousands of people in southeast Turkey since the eighties.

There is no justification for terrorism of any sort. Likewise there is no
justification for oppression against minority ethnic groups like the Kurds who
have lived under subjugation for centuries in Iran, Iraq, and Turkey.

>I live in Istanbul which has the highest number of Kurdish citizens in Turkey,
> never saw any human rights violations against them, they just have to
> suffer the same traffic we all do...

I have never personally seen human rights violations against Native Americans
or African Americans but they occur daily. Why don't you open your eyes?

> Or are you conveniently putting the
> Iraqis gassing of their Kurdish citizens on Turkey?

No.

>Before ranting

I made a simple factual statement. You are the on who is ranting.

>about such questionable and mostly fabricated human rights violations,

Unfortunately there is nothing fabricated about  the human rights violations
against the Kurdsoccurring. The oppression has been occurring for  centuries.

> please remember that without the Turkish army protecting its
> southerneast border, you would have the Al Qaeda troops walking
> straight into Europe.

That is a very big stretch of your imagination.

> I apologise to all others who may be bored by this discussion, but
> having lived first hand through Kurdish PKK terrorism until recently,

And the Kurds have first hand knowledge of being oppressed for centuries.

> I feel that what needs to be a technical issue is being pulled towards
> a political platform.

You have made it a political platform through your obviously anti-Kurdish
attitude. There is no valid technical issue.

>It's easy for you guys to sit over there and try
> to pass judgement although after the unfortunate events of 9/11 people
> in the US are beginning to get a feel for it.

> My technical arguement is based on the fact that unlike Switzerland
> where there are 3 official languages used in their cantons, Turkey is
> one united country with one official language, the decimal and
> thousands seperators are used as in most of Europe, thus there needs
> to be one locale. Users can then choose any language they want from
> the language section.

The language settings have nothing to do with what the official language is.

---
Larry I. Gusaas,
Moose Jaw, Sask.
http://larry-gusaas.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0653-0, 2006-12-03
Tested on: 2006-12-03 9:18:43 PM